• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

background check question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jasminebud

What is the name of your state? CA

About 3 years ago I was fired because my boss thought i was stealing. I was not, so of course she had no proof. I was an easy scapegoat at the time.

My main concern today is--Assuming my old boss is not contacted personally, will the accusation of stealing still turn up on a background report? She did not contact the police.

Also, will the fact that I was fired before show up? I do not include this job on my resume or references, of course.

I imagine that a background check might work by just entering someone's SSN into a database and then every job that person has ever had will pop up. Am I wrong?

I am worried. Thanks very much for any input.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have good news and bad news.

"I imagine that a background check might work by just entering someone's SSN into a database and then every job that person has ever had will pop up. Am I wrong?"

Yes, you are wrong. There is no such database.

If the police were not contacted then there will be no public record of the accusation. Nor is there any public record anywhere of how a person's employment with any given company ended. So there's not going to be any database that will pop up with, "Jasminebud - dates xx to xy, worked for ABC company - voluntary quit; dates yy to yz, worked for XYZ Company, - fired" and so on. That's the good news.

Here's the bad news. Leaving the job off your resume was a BIG MISTAKE. No matter what industry you're in, it's a small world. Sooner or later, a new employer is going to find out that you worked for this company. Leaving an employer off a resume can easily and legally get you fired; it's called falsification of your application.

And if you're not getting interviews with the resume as it stands, it may be because prospective employers realize that there's a gap in your resume and are not interested in interviewing someone who is not going to be honest about their experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">