• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Check - Tax Records?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lrhone11

What is the name of your state? IL

I want to submit my resume for a few jobs. I also want to omit one of the jobs I had on my resume instead of lying about it.

Basically it was one mis-step in my career that lasted about 6 months. I can easily explain the gap in my employment because I was pregnant at the time.

Question: Will this job show up on a background check?

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends on how thorough a check it is. You are FAR better off leaving it on and explaining the circumstances, than omitting it. Omitting it is considered falsification of your application.

lrhone11

do my own background check?

I would actually like to do my own background check to see what comes up, even with respect to past employers and tax records. How can I get that information on myself?

Lauren

pattytx

It is very difficult, if not impossible, for a private employer to obtain tax records from any government agency, specifically the IRS. Tax information does not show up on a normal background check or even a credit check, unless perhaps you have a tax lien filed against you.

If I remember correctly (and this is a long time ago), wasn't that one of the issues with the Nixon impeachment, i.e. ordering the IRS to produce tax records for people on his "enemies list"? :eek:

longneck

lrhone11 said:
I would actually like to do my own background check...
not all background checks are created equal. that's why we use three different companies at the place i work. i have yet to see to see any one check on the same individual that includes ALL of the information in the three checks.

in short, this will probably not be effective.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can do your own background check through any number of companies - don't ask me to recommend one because I can't. But unless you ask exactly the same questions as a potential employer you will not get the same information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">