• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smints30

*Massachusetts*

What kind of information is given in a "background check"? and how easily accessible is this information by schools or employers?

I dont have any criminal record, I'm just talking about a list of places I've been employed. If I want to leave one of the companies out, how easy is it for a future employer to find out?

Thank you.

JETX

smints30 said:
What kind of information is given in a "background check"?
Depends on what they are looking for.

and how easily accessible is this information by schools or employers?
VERY easily available.

I dont have any criminal record, I'm just talking about a list of places I've been employed. If I want to leave one of the companies out, how easy is it for a future employer to find out?
Depends. How long ago and for how long??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the company you are applying to is in the same industry as the employee you want to leave off, VERY easily.

A good recruiter will notice the gap in your resume and ask you about it. Unless you have a VERY good reason for leaving it off (about the only reason I'd accept, as a hiring manager, would be that the job was completely, totally, and 100% unrelated in every respect to the job the applicant was applying for and even then I'd be wary) that gap is going to put you at a disadvantage before you even start.

As for what information is provided in a background check, it depends on what the employer asks for. All background checks are not created equal. It can be as simple as verifying dates of employment with former employers, to a full scale security check by the FBI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">