• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BAckground checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TazAngel2U

I live in CA and recently applied for a job with the county sheriffs office. I belive that some information gathered in the background check is incorrect, is there a way I can get a copy of the report so I can verify information? I believe this incorrect information may have cost me a job at the sheriffs office.

JETX

It depends on what you believe to be incorrect. If it is public record, it is simple to get that information... just by request.

If it is a part of your criminal background search, you can request a copy of YOUR own history (may have a small fee).

However, if you don't know what the information is, you might ask the approriate Recruiter with the County SO. What did they say when you asked for a copy of their records??? Keep in mind, there may be some valid reasons for their refusal. The Recruiting process can be pretty exhaustive and include results of personal interviews, etc. that could be protected and priviledged.

T

TazAngel2U

The information is about an incident that happened at a past job. I have spoken with two individuals who were questioned and the information they gave, was the same as what actually occured. The first individual told me that when he was questioned by the investigator, he had specific questions about the incident. What I want to know is, is there a way to find out who the investigator spoke to initially to get the information. There is no one left at my old job that was there at the time I was and this incident occured. There was however, an individual outside of the situation that is still around. When asked if he spoke to anyone about me or the situation, he said he hadn't. If he didn't then there is someone else that may be giving wrong information about this incident. The only place I know that the information is. is in the report given to the sheriffs dept. I spoke to them and they told me that I can't get a copy of the report, because it is protected under the, I think he said the Private Record Act or something like that. Or Public Record, but if it weere public record and it is about me, should I not have access?

JETX

Based on your follow-up post, it appears that this information came as a result of an individual interview, a regular part of the recruitment process. As such, it is not public record and you have no direct rights to it. Your only recourse would be to sue the Sheriff's Office and to request your complete file. (Not really a viable option all things considered).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">