• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background checks - what can be done?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tdwmba

Employers that use an outside business to complete background checks are bound by the Fair Credit Reporting Act - 15 U.S.C. 1681. If employment is denied based on this information - i.e. a credit report, prior to taking adverse action they must notify the applicant and provide a copy of the report. (to respond to any of the Credit Reporting Agencies screw - ups). My dilemma - There is an employer who totally violated the FCRA - governmental agency as well. A job offer was rescinded based on a credit report (erroneous information - of course). Because they did not follow the law, I really got screwed out of a job I really wanted. My question is - on what basis do I file suit against the employer and the Credit Reporting Agency for failing to comply with the FCRA (the erroneous information has been disputed for the past seven years - disappears, then reappears)?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated (found very little case law on the subject)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">