• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

background investigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hooha

What is the name of your state? California

I met with a recruiter regarding a position at a company. The recruiter needsme to sign off on a consent form to do an investigative consumer report. "In connection with an application for employment, I hereby authorize and request any present or former employer, school, police dept., financial institution or other persons having personal knowledge about me, to furnish bearer with any and all information in their position regarding me." How do I amend this form to protect me?

I have not had an interview with the employer. I have not completed an application. Where in the interview process can this information be requested and by whom? How is this information communicated to the prospective employer? Who is conducting the background search?

While optimistic about the job opportunity, I am hesitant to give out this information at this stage of the game and without a change in the consent language. Suggestions???

P

Pfaffing85690

This is boilerplate. Either sign the form or move on to another job interview.

Beth3

"Where in the interview process can this information be requested and by whom?" At any point the employer wishes.

"How is this information communicated to the prospective employer?" Depends on who is conducting the background check and how extensive it is. It could be anything from routine reference checking to a high level security check. It would depend entirely on the job in question and the hiring employer's requirements.

"Who is conducting the background search?" Ask the recruiter.

As Pfaff stated, this is just boilerplate. Could be they're asking you to sign it now simply to expedite things when/if the hiring employer is interested in you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">