• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backround check. 7 Years definition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mechengineer

What is the name of your state? MN

I was convicted of an assult on Jan 4 2000.

Today I will sign a release form for the backround check. They told me the check 7 years of history. If it is 7 years to the day I sign the release, I should be fine. If it is 7 calender years I may be SOL.

Do you guys know whether it is 7 calender years or 7 years to the day?

Thanks in advance!

moburkes

What is the name of your state? MN

I was convicted of an assult on Jan 4 2000.

Today I will sign a release form for the backround check. They told me the check 7 years of history. If it is 7 years to the day I sign the release, I should be fine. If it is 7 calender years I may be SOL.

Do you guys know whether it is 7 calender years or 7 years to the day?

Thanks in advance!
There is no law, so it can be either. If you're honest on your application OR just fess up now, you'll probably be fine.

mechengineer

Gotcha.

The only reason I have not said anything is because I have been told that if you've had a felony, HR will not even consider you.

mechengineer

Wait a minute. I just thought of something.

The application said 7 years. I replied no. The conviction was indeed more than 7 years ago. (1/4/00) I should be safe, right?

I am afraid to volunteer info that I am not required to volunteer. Do you think I should volunteer the conviction anyway? These people really want me to work for them, but hey, I know HR is responsible.

xylene

Wait a minute. I just thought of something.

The application said 7 years. I replied no. The conviction was indeed more than 7 years ago. (1/4/00) I should be safe, right?

I am afraid to volunteer info that I am not required to volunteer. Do you think I should volunteer the conviction anyway? These people really want me to work for them, but hey, I know HR is responsible.
OK. are they asking you about the last seven years or telling you they do a seven year check (or both)?

If you criminal conviction was over 7 years ago and they are asking about 7 years you are not lying.

mechengineer

The exact wording was. (on the application)

"Have you been convicted of a crime in the past 7 years (omit traffic offences)?"

Then during the interview with HR, she mentioned the backround check. I asked how far back they look. She replied 7 years. She then commented that asking that question was not a good sign (jokingly). I smiled and said "we'll be fine".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is quite unlikely that they can fine-tune the check to exactly 7 years to the day.

mechengineer

It is quite unlikely that they can fine-tune the check to exactly 7 years to the day.

I'm sure.

But I have been honest about the seven years. I filles out the application in the middle of March, and will fill out the release form today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">