• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gabe 1

What is the name of your state? ky
O.K. here is my situation and I hope someone can help. I have been working for a repossession agency since 8-23-05. They pay weekly. I still have not received my first pay check. Since then I have heard rumors that this is how it always goes with this company, always late. Another employee's check bounced last week also. Really I guess what I need to know is how to go about fixing this situation. I have considered talking to the Dept of Labor but am not sure if this is the correct avenue to take. If I do contact them and they get this situated can they fire me legally for reporting them? (I am hired as an independant contractor). I don't wanna lose my job as it is pretty good money and fits my schedule perfect. They also take 7% of my check of the top for workmans comp, is that legal? Thanks in advance. My number is 270-535-6380 if anyone would like more details I'll call you back. I do much better over the phone.

Thanks in advance

mycarlb

Are you on their payroll... did you fill out any W-9 or anything?

I wouldn't wait to report them first of all... secondly... how in the world can you say it's "good money" if you haven't even been paid yet?

Be leery of anyone like this... my friend worked as a bike messenger (independent or so they told him) and they paid him with a check every week for $400, made him cash it through them, and gave him $225 cash back... claiming it was for comp insurance and manditory taxes... my friend was spanish and didn't have clear understanding of all the laws... so we reported him and his company to the Department of Labor, as well as the IRS...

Only you can decide what to do, but I wouldn't work for a company that wouldn't pay me... By the way, have you asked for your check??? I mean, are you just holding your hand on your butt until they give it to you??

Last edited:

pattytx

And, if you are an employee, and you are fired because you reported the failure to pay you your wages as as required by state law, when you file for unemployment, you can also add a claim of wrongful termination. It is a violation of public policy, let alone, against an actual law in many states, to fire an employee because they reported a violation of law to the proper outside authority.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">