• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad mouthing and wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Germanator

What is the name of your state? TX
To whom it may concern:
I have been working at a small (19 employees) consulting Engineering firm X & Associates from 6/28/04 until 5/10/05 and my employment was terminated on 5/10/05.
I wanted to touch base with you and get legal advise how to pursue this matter.
I was hired as a Senior Electrical Design Engineer and since the start was never really told who my supervisor was, yet was hired by the president of the company Ed X. I worked mainly with 2 Senior PE Electrical Engineers. Both of them talked down on me all the time calling me their "Boy", even being yelled at several times right in my face. I have worked lots of overtime hours to get projects completed. While on overtime in late hours, alcoholic beverages were the norm and were brought to my desk, being told "relax a little". I considered this unprofessional, but brushed it off.
While I am applying for new jobs, I came to find out today from one of my contacts that the feedback from Bay is negative feedback "Between you and I - I think the information coming out of Bay not be a positive feedback. It would probably be good to delete that one off the resume."
Isn't it illegal for a employer to give feedback about your past work performance?
Please let me know if there are legal grounds to pursue this matter, since I see it damaging to my future career.
Thank you very much,
Sincerely,
D

Beth3

Isn't it illegal for a employer to give feedback about your past work performance? Not at all. An employer is free to provide any information they wish to when contacted for a reference provided it is factually true or represents their honest opinion.

Please let me know if there are legal grounds to pursue this matter, since I see it damaging to my future career. Only if the employer is lying about you or making negligent statements when contacted for a reference and you suffer damages as a result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">