• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad recommendation, not a listed reference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wade1010

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I have spent 10 months awaiting an opening with the state and after interviewing was told I was the top candidate by an interviewer and someone else I knew already working there. I had provided references on my application. However, I was told I was not given the job because my former supervisor had given me a bad recommendation. I did not use him for a reference. If I didn't use him as a reference nor ask for a recommendation, are they allowed to call him for any information other than to verify employment, pay, and to verify the job description I gave for the previous job was correct? And if they are allowed to call this former supervisor, can he do this?

H

hexeliebe

If I didn't use him as a reference nor ask for a recommendation, are they allowed to call him for any information other than to verify employment, pay, and to verify the job description I gave for the previous job was correct?
Yes.

And if they are allowed to call this former supervisor, can he do this?
Do what? Answer the phone?

Beth3

An employer may contact anyone they wish to obtain a reference on a candidate; they need not confine themselves to the listed references you provided to them.

Think about that for a moment - if that were the case, a person who had left a horrible track record behind them at every place they had worked (insubordination, assault, stealing, etc.) would only list their mother as a reference.

W

Wade1010

Thanks for the information. Yes, this makes sense. I wonder if perhaps when interviewing I should somehow make it known that this former supervisor did not like me and will probably say something bad about me. None of my other previous supervisors had anything bad to say, and I hate to think I will be unable to find a good job because this one man from my last job won't just let me have a job. He has a history of doing this to people who did not always agree with him (the vengeful sort). Hope breathes eternal.

H

hexeliebe

Absolutely NOT!

This puts you on the same level as him and alerts the interviewer to call this person because you have a personality conflict.

When I was working for a living my tactic in this situation would be the following:

"I have listed my references and the contacts of all previous employers. Obviously you'll be calling everyone since you want the best possible candidate for this position. And since I feel confident in your ability to view my past employment record in its entirity I have been honest and forthright with you."

:D

Beth3

Wade, unless you are assured that this supervisor will give you a poor reference, I wouldn't mention it. What I would do though is provide several additional references from this same place of employment (such as one or two other managers you had some interface with), so that a prospective employer can get a balanced view.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">