• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad reputation from previous job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fstchv

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX
Hi, i was recently fired from my job for breaking the rules. I am in the process of getting hired at another job and when they contacted my previous employer the responded with negative comments and now has delayed the whole hiring process. Is this legal or illegal?

pattytx

If you broke the rules, and your previous employer is relating that to prospective employers, that is perfectly legal. An employer is allowed to state the truth, or their opinion as to the truth.

Beth3

It's legal for your ex-employer to say why you were fired; it's legal for your prospective employer to refuse to hire you based on the reference.

Sounds like this information came as a surprise to the new employer. Bad move on your part. You should have disclosed the reason and circumstances surrounding your departure from your last job during the interview process. Even if the reason someone left their last job wouldn't proclude me from hiring them, if they were untruthful about it or less than candid during the interview, it's all over.

OffenseWins

Just Get Leverage on Him

I had an old employer who tried changing my laid off status to fired after I made him look stupid in front of the company. All I had to do to fix the problem was to start publishing inside information online in easily deletable places and make an offer not to expand to highly search engine visible places if they did the right thing and provide written proof that I was laid off and agree not to state otherwise to potential employers. They even agreed to a monetary demand, but I settled for proof that I was laid off and told them that I didn't want their money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">