• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bait and Switch Hiring?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

binary1000

A company lured me away from a very nice position (where I was earning over $160,000/yr.) with representations made during the interviews. They showed me a particular geographical territory with existing clients producing $2 million in revenue and gave me a written offer based on those figures. I even have an email from the regional manager telling me that the quota would only change to about $2.25 million. As a result, I quit my job, came on board at Thanksgiving time. On Jan 1, less than 5 weeks later, they cut the territory in half, add a state that had no previous income and raise my quota to $3 million. This is a significant change that was not represented. I did not base my change of employment on this new territory configuration and I would never have switched positions had this been the plan that was presented only a few weeks prior.

Because management made a poor decision on splitting up this territory, they actually eliminated my position in just 5 months and went back to original territory configuration that was discussed in the interviews. However, the sales person that was handling the "other part" is now handling the whole thing. I am sure that this is because he is 20 years younger and his base pay and target bonus is tens of thousands of dollars less than what mine was.

I was in the process of quoting projects in the $4 million range, which would have come to fruition in the next fiscal year (cycle time for large projects is 6 to 10 months) and I had discussed increasing business with a few existing clients that would have added another $2 million next year. So NEXT year I was on track to do over $6 million in this relatively unfarmed territory.

I have an at will agreement from the parent company, which was consumated in California, but I only signed this because of the information represented to me during the interviews and which I have in writing.

At termination I was given 2 months severance IF I sign a waiver of claims. I think they know that they were wrong. Damages amount to the difference in salary and bonus, which comes to over $90,000 this year.

Do I have a chance in court in Michigan or should I just take the money and forget it?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">