• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bankrupt company claims no $ for me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

outofmoney

i live in pennsylvania and was working for a cell phone company that abruptly filed bankruptcy and closed up shop on the employees. they owe us our last paychecks and we have no way of contacting them to receive them. they claimed they would be sent in the mail...........(this was a month ago)what are my legal rights for my rightful pay?

B

buddy2bear

File a claim with your State Wage & Hour division.

Usually in a bankruptcy, payroll is the last thing that is paid, if at all, because you are considered an unsecured creditor. Until the laws are changed payouts from bankruptcy are as follows and in this order: (1) Government taxes, etc.; (2) lawyer fees; (3) secured creditors; (4) unsecured creditors. By the time it hits #4, there is usually nothing left.

Notice that the Government and the lawyers have made sure they are at the top of the heap -- that is because they write the laws!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">