• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banned from removing for funeral home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Instinct101

I have a question regarding a strange issue. I am a body remover for a variety of funeral homes. Some of the other employes have made certain mistakes that, temporarily at least, landed them in hot water. What worker of any kind hasn't? One at one point forgot to put a head block on a corpse, another one even crashed one of the company vans. I, however, am a strange case.

I was assisting in a removal one night. It was around 2am, cold and raining. 2 other removers had been called in to the appointed house because the client (the body) was that of a rather large individual and the only entrance and exit on the house had a tall flight of stairs that were slick from the rain. We got the client loaded and as we were preparing to brave the stairs, I got a call on my cell from another remover at a house not far from the one I was assisting at. My exact words to the caller were, "I'll be right with you as soon as I'm done with this fiasco." Hung up. Got down the slippery stairs uninjured, went off to the next address, did the work there, and rode off into the night.

Evidently, that last word I said, "fiasco," was the one I shouldn't have said. The family there and the hospice nurse heard me and were offended (can't say I blame them looking back on it). So much so that they called the funeral home we were taking the deceased to that night about it, and they called my boss. One of my co-workers then told me about this the following day, I promptly called my boss, apologizing and explaining I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. I was too focused on those hostile stairs. It was my own fault.

I have since then been banned from doing any more removals for that particular funeral home. We have several more on our list of course, but it still bothers me especially after one of our other workers destroyed one of our company vans. I blame only myself for this, for saying something I now know I shouldn't have. Perhaps I'm just looking for a venting place because I'm not comfortable with talking to my family about this. I just think it's so...unusual to be banned entirely from removing for a particular funeral home for just saying one misplaced word. This is even the first time I've ever actually made a mistake quite like this and nobody can rightfully call me a bad worker. I'm otherwise always courteous and obedient and never get hostile with anyone, even if they with me.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Its perfectly legal. I always used to joke that I never had to worry about customer complaints, when moving corpses. Don't sweat it. People are still dying to work with you. The funeral home will likely relent after time.

ecmst12

Absolutely legal, understandable, and correct. It is ESSENTIAL for anyone in your line of work to comport themselves with exemplary courtesy, professionalism, and respect. It is extremely hard to watch the body of your loved one leave the home for the last time. I would consider yourself fortunate that you are only banned from working with that one funeral home instead of simply fired. Perhaps given time the home will decide to give you another chance (or perhaps not).

Betty

Agree with the other responders - nothing illegal about banning you from doing removals for that one funeral home. I can understand the family being upset by what you said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">