• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Displaced Offered Severance But....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Qbart

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hello all,

I just found out today that I'm being displaced. I work for a large healthcare company and due to budget cuts my position is being terminated. I met with my boss and an HR lady today and they told me the news. The HR lady told me that I have thirty days until my termination becomes effective and then I will be offered two months salary severance pay, after I sign a waiver. I have no problem with this and this would be fine with me. The problem is because it is a large company with many different sites they have an "Employee Mandatory Transfer Policy". I've been assigned a recruiter within my company to find another position. I just talked with him and he wants me to apply for at least three positions, the problem with these positions is the pay is below what I am making now. The "Employee Mandatory Transfer Policy" states if they offer me a position within 20% of my pay I have to either accept it or waive my severance pay. My questions are these:

1. What can I do to make sure I don’t get offered a position?
2. Am I legally obligated to go on interviews within the company?
3. If I have to go on interviews what can I do to make sure I don’t
get offered the position?

My fear is getting offered a position at 20% below what I’m making now at a site that is farther away from where I live. What steps can I take now to avoid this from happening?

Thanks for all and any advice!

pattytx

Are you kidding me? Your first fear should be being unemployed and finding a job with a new company within six months, even with a 20% pay cut. They cannot "force" you to go on interviews; they also could let you go today with no severance pay. None of this is mandated by law.

They're trying to help you here. If you want to make sure you don't get offered another position, take this attitude with the interviewer. That should do it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one can force you to go on these interviews or to take another job with the company if one is offered. However, if you don't, they have no legal obligation to offer you any severance; they could and almost certainly would withdraw the severance offer and it would be perfectly legal. What's more, there's a very strong likelihood that if you refuse to go on these interviews it could result in your having unemployment denied.

Which is better, a pay cut or no pay at all?

Beth3

1. What can I do to make sure I don’t get offered a position? Well, you can always do something crass during the interview like belch or tell an inappropriate joke.

2. Am I legally obligated to go on interviews within the company? No.

3. If I have to go on interviews what can I do to make sure I don’t
get offered the position?
See #1 above. Insulting the hiring manager should work too.

You can decline participating in the interviewing process as well as decline any job offer you receive. Your employer is just as free to cancel the severance they've offered you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">