• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bmxmom

What is the name of your state? ca
I've worked at the same job for 8.5 years. Recently a new manager came on board. I was talking to another employee and called him a "brown noser", which he took as a joke(he admitted this being a joke to boss), and I said as a joke. Boss hears this "brown noser" story from another employee who heard about it and I got fired for it. The friend in which I told this to told our boss this was a joke and it didn't bother him whatsoever. Was it right that I got fired for it?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bmxmom said:
What is the name of your state? ca
I've worked at the same job for 8.5 years. Recently a new manager came on board. I was talking to another employee and called him a "brown noser", which he took as a joke(he admitted this being a joke to boss), and I said as a joke. Boss hears this "brown noser" story from another employee who heard about it and I got fired for it. The friend in which I told this to told our boss this was a joke and it didn't bother him whatsoever. Was it right that I got fired for it?

My response:

No, it wasn't. What you should have said was, "You think your sh*t don't stink, and it comes out in little baggies marked "Scented".

Anyway, California is an "At-Will" employment State. He could have fired you because he didn't like you, your clothes, your red hair, or for absolutely no reason whatsoever; e.g., he could have woken on the wrong side of the bed that morning, and decided to just fire someone - - and it was you!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">