• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cwillyrhe

What is the name of your state? hawaii
I was fired because I told the VP of the board of directors in the condo ( I own a unit in a condo which has an association) I took care of the property) about respect, meaning he has time and again asked me for keys to a storeroom/electrical room and never brings them back to me. the last occasion i repeated to bring them back to me and he ignored and refused to acknowledge that he understood what I was saying to him. after a bit I went to get work tools and found the key back in the "lockbox" and confronted him about not bringing the keys to me again I was fired cause of confronting him. he claims i threatened and harrased him.. not sure what he means.. all i did was told him if you come to me for the keys you bring them back and used f words in there being fustrated as i was but never told him i would do harm or hinted at it

JETX

Thank you for your wonderful and heart-warming story. When you get a legal question, please feel free to post again.

C

cwillyrhe

Hey did I forget to ask a question? ahh thats right Question is are they justified in firing me just because of his side of the story? I pretty much understand I can be fired for no reason at all but in this case I would like to know for some closure

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they are. "Confronting" the VP of the board of directors is insubordination, which is a firing offense no matter how you slice it.

mykoleary

As a heads up, I would have done the same thing if I were in their shoes (and I am an ex-Pres of a condo board.)

The keys SHOULD be in the lockbox so the Board can get to them when they need w/o having to hunt you down to get them.

The best method is for ALL keys to the property to be in a lockbox that property management, on site manager and the Board have access to. If there were an emergency and you had the keys but were not on site, what would happen????

You should be placing the keys in the lockbox when not in use as well. It's too easy for you to forget to put them back, lose them, and then the Board is up the creek and the property is exposed to who knows what potential thievery.

Just a suggestion for you when interviewing for your next job if you decide to continue in this career field.

C

cwillyrhe

I agree with the replies and I can say I have been in error and no, taking care of this property was sort of handed to me being the last manager left. I am a Mason by trade local #1 and 630 so this work was just so to speak like taking care of my own yard in a sense cause no one here does anything for this place but complain but to show interest to improvements they hide lol, But as far as the keys goes its more to it than that but I agree about the lockbox. The board had told the VP to give me the keys he kept dodging me and refused then I finally worked a solution with him for dupilicates that I would take care of, Next thing done was he made a lockbox without consenting the board and told me thats where he wants the keys, so I veiwed it as his solution and not a board decision.

C

cwillyrhe

mykoleary said:
As a heads up, I would have done the same thing if I were in their shoes (and I am an ex-Pres of a condo board.)

The keys SHOULD be in the lockbox so the Board can get to them when they need w/o having to hunt you down to get them.

The best method is for ALL keys to the property to be in a lockbox that property management, on site manager and the Board have access to. If there were an emergency and you had the keys but were not on site, what would happen????

I totally agree on this, had this were presented in the first place and not on his own solution to not having another set made.
The previous manager had the keys on him at all times and only he was with entrance to and fro these areas and we had no objections either.

C

cwillyrhe

mykoleary said:

You should be placing the keys in the lockbox when not in use as well. It's too easy for you to forget to put them back, lose them, and then the Board is up the creek and the property is exposed to who knows what potential thievery.

Just a suggestion for you when interviewing for your next job if you decide to continue in this career field.
and thats what I went to see the VP about after the insident was because he was taking the keys and leaving secured areas open at night so taht when he went to his real job during the day he wouldnt have to worry about outside contractors being locked out, and I am on the property 24 hrs a day 98 percent of the time im here and thats what I went to see him about is his leaving doors unsecured and not being on sight to ensure there will be no false entrances to the areas opened. one of the entrances could jepordize the homes on the first floor, and another was the electrical/storeroom and gas/paint room storeage.

HomeGuru

cwillyrhe said:
mykoleary said:

I totally agree on this, had this were presented in the first place and not on his own solution to not having another set made.
The previous manager had the keys on him at all times and only he was with entrance to and fro these areas and we had no objections either.
**A: big deal. The bottom line is that you have no case. How's that for closure?

C

cwillyrhe

I dont want to push this further but the other day I went to the VP's house to opologize for how I approached him. he feels ive harrased and threatened him from the first time we talked to this time I know he is using the ol' " i feel scared of the guy method" when in fact he is using it as a ploy. anyway cops came he is claiming everything but the fact that i did come to apologize and make ammends. any thoughts ? other than flat leaving him alone which is intended should I be seeking legal councel in preporations for what he may be coming up with?

HomeGuru

cwillyrhe said:
I dont want to push this further but the other day I went to the VP's house to opologize for how I approached him. he feels ive harrased and threatened him from the first time we talked to this time I know he is using the ol' " i feel scared of the guy method" when in fact he is using it as a ploy. anyway cops came he is claiming everything but the fact that i did come to apologize and make ammends. any thoughts ? other than flat leaving him alone which is intended should I be seeking legal councel in preporations for what he may be coming up with?
**A: drop it. Aloha.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Forget about apologizing. Just leave him the hell alone. If you make no further contact, he'll have no reason to take further action. They can't know what was in your head. Drop the whole thing and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">