• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Forced Out...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tink11464

What is the name of your state? PA

I have been employed by a large Real Estate company for over 10 years - working in my current position and office for 2 and a half years. In all of the above time - I had never had any problems, always had good reviews - the last being in November where the worst thing my manager said about me was about my "inability to say no to the agents". I always did for them, day, nights, weekends. They called I did what was neededeven off work time.

We had an agent leave the company on February 6th and said her reason for leaving ws due to staff - she was frustrated with everything in the office inclusing the manager and used "staff" to cover him as well. "Staff" in our office includes - the manager, myself (processor or administrative asst) and 2 part time receptionists (one being 72 yrs old and the other being the manager's 17 yr old daughter).

From Feb 6 on - my manager has made everyday miserable for me. He blames me for this agent leaving, nothing I do is right. On 2/13 he yelled at me and I left (it was 5:30 - I was done anyway) I called our RVP's office and spoke to his assistant - who later called my boss and told him all i said.

On Valentines day he wrote me up - a 2 pg "final warning" listing everything and anything that is wrong wth me, from being insubirdinate, sarcastic and unreliable (I work everyday - not missing work and actually losing vacation time) 2 days I work 9-7pm. It was full of attacks, and I did not sign it. He told me not to come back until I sign it (but could I work saturday so his daughter could go to NY? And could I work Monday to help train her on phones?) I did both. For the next few weeks - I was reprimanded for everything from lines on copies due to a broken copier, to a receptionist not coming in on time. I felt as if I was being forced out.

Lo and behold there was an ad on the internet for a FT position in our area for the same job I have - I had someone I know call for it and they confirmed it was my job. I called the company out on this - they denied it ws my job. The ad then changed to PT and I was told it was my job - and that it was going PT. I said why wasn't it offered to me before placing the ad? They said they knew I couldn't do PT as I need benefits.

Do I have anything to fight on this? Thank you in advance for any and all advice.What is the name of your state?

Tink11464

Thank you - - It's a shame that after 10+ years of loyalty someone could be forced out for no legit reason. The RVP and my manager told me today that it was being cut do to budgets. Then my boss said that with they save on my salary they can give the 2 receptionists raises. I about fell off my chair - you're telling me budget then people are getting raises - UGH.

thanks again

lorne

I Agree. Nothing illegal about "Forcing an Employee" out as you have put it. It may be unfair, but far from illegal. Happens all of the time.

las365

It sounds like it will be good for you to get out of this situation. Your strategy at this time is to get documentation from the employer that your employment is being terminated due to budget cuts, not poor performance.

First thing tomorrow, send an email to the RVP confirming your conversation regarding that. Don't include the manager on the email, as he is the one who has been writing you up. Don't be confrontational in the email, say that you have enjoyed working there and it's unfortunate but you understand that they have to let you go due to economics. Ask the VP for a letter of reference. If he or she does not reply by saying that your are being terminated for cause, and/or does reply in a way that confirms the budget cut conversation or provide a letter of reference, you can use the emails as evidence to show that you are eligible for unemployment benefits while you look for a new job.

As a hiring manager, I can tell you that an applicant who had the same job for ten years is generally an appealing candidate. It indicates that you are probably competent and reliable.

Tink11464

Thank you for all of your advice. I noticed that I forgot to add that I had filed a grievance against my manager a week before them telling me that position was being changed to part time. I am looking for a new job - - hopefully I can leave sooner than later - - as uneployment would pay ess than I would get working there part time.

Tink11464

No - not a union member. But after filing against the manager, I was let go... They say due to budget - they just hired a thin cute young blonde (all of which I am not). I am waiting to see if she goes full time - - and then I think i'll lose my marbles ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">