• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being hired to soon?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whywouldntthey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN. However the home office in CA. I applied for a job which I had received an offer on but I was have a misdemeanor on my record for theft of $71. The company hired me on the contigincey that I have six months to have it expunged or I would be terminated. So I went to a courthouse free help session on expungement and filed all the paperwork and have a date set for the 16th of this month. It's the ONLY thing I have EVER been charged with as a juvenile or adult and when I went to incident happened the prosecutor said I see this is your first time ever being in trouble please tell me what you did. So I did and she told me she would do a C.F.D. and if I don't do anything stupid I'd be ok. Well it's been almost a year and a half since and does anyone know what judges think? Am I or is it to early to be granted an expungement? If judge say's no I can't I will basically lose my job. I've had a very stable career and was at my job for 15 years before I got laid off and then unemployment ran out. Let me say i had a hell of a time finally landing a job and don't want to lose this one. I know it's in offer letter saying if not expunged in six months your done, but if judge says no
Is there any recourse against being fired. It's nice I was given the "chance" but I
reckon it's like why did you even give me the job knowing I had a misdemeanor?

Thanks for you thoughts.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN. However the home office in CA. I applied for a job which I had received an offer on but I was have a misdemeanor on my record for theft of $71. The company hired me on the contigincey that I have six months to have it expunged or I would be terminated. So I went to a courthouse free help session on expungement and filed all the paperwork and have a date set for the 16th of this month. It's the ONLY thing I have EVER been charged with as a juvenile or adult and when I went to incident happened the prosecutor said I see this is your first time ever being in trouble please tell me what you did. So I did and she told me she would do a C.F.D. and if I don't do anything stupid I'd be ok. Well it's been almost a year and a half since and does anyone know what judges think? Am I or is it to early to be granted an expungement? If judge say's no I can't I will basically lose my job. I've had a very stable career and was at my job for 15 years before I got laid off and then unemployment ran out. Let me say i had a hell of a time finally landing a job and don't want to lose this one. I know it's in offer letter saying if not expunged in six months your done, but if judge says no
Is there any recourse against being fired. It's nice I was given the "chance" but I
reckon it's like why did you even give me the job knowing I had a misdemeanor?

Thanks for you thoughts.
No, there would not be any recourse against being fired. Both CA and MN are considered "at-will" employment states. Even if they weren't, then being fired for failing to comply with a stated condition of employment certainly applies as good cause for termination.

You're lucky that they gave you this opportunity. In some instances, any kind of criminal record can prevent them from even CONSIDERING taking you on as an employee - especially given the current state of the economy and the large pool of other qualified candidates that could easily have been hired instead of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">