• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being on probation and getting fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shortnsweet120

What is the name of your state? ca

I belong to a union. when I started my job I was placed on the new employee 3 month probation, per union. I found out quickly my boss was insane, so we didn't always see eye to eye. He then extended my probation another 2 months. I asked him if I should be worried about my job, and he told me no, its just routine. One month until the probation was up, I was moved off my normal duties, and given a higher up more difficult duties. I was told by members of management I was doing a good job. I wasn't given any indication by my employer that he wasn't happy with me. Two days before my probation was up, he fired me, saying it "wasn't working out". No reasoning, or anything. I didn't see it coming.

I found out from a co worker later than he thought I was "leaking informaiton" to the competitor. NOT TRUE. I have documentation that proves it.

The union says I'm SOL because I was under probation...is there anything I can do??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Regardless of whether you were on probation or not, as far as the law is concerned your employer may legally fire you because he believes you are giving information to a competitor, even if he is wrong.

Any recourse you have is going to be through your union. If they say there's nothing you can do, you're probably stuck.

Apply for unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">