• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being screwed by my employment agency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nochoice

An employment agency got me a job at a big company. I have been working there for 6 months now more than 40 hours a week. I have my own phone extension, my own email, my own office, and rely on them for a majority of my income. I go to meetings, give advice, make purchases... yet am excluded from company holidays, many functions, and not allowed to log time for "team building" events even though the salaried employees do get paid. The agency takes a 100% mark-up on what I get paid. They offer only a $30 a month insurance reimbursment and a couple of vacation days a year. Other people I work with are freelancers who do not have an agency and therefore get paid twice as much as I do. Granted, they pay more taxes, but I would much rather be a freelancer than a contractor. Is there anything I can do to "fire" my agency and still work here? Is there a point when I can demand they take a smaller markup? If I am let go here at the company am I eligible for unemployment? Because at that point I would still be employed by the agency but with no paycheck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">