• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being searched on the job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kellyinaz

In our new office policy manual that they want us to sign is a section on searching our cars and personal belongings at any time is this legal.We all have a problem with this at work.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

The problem here is 4th Amendment right against illegal search and seizure is only found against government (i.e police). It doesn't apply to private individuals. What does apply to private individuals are the notions of trespass and conversion of property, which seems the employer is trying to supercede by asking for your permission.

This is quite unreasonable.

Check your state law about this by looking at the labor code or employer-employee code. Go to the state laws section at the freeadvice.com homepage and click on it, then click on state statutes. Then click on your state and go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">