• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being terminated due to downsizing, what info should I arm myself with

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

herspot

kentucky

I am being terminated from my salaried and higher paying positon, but I can either stay with company at lower hourly rate or take severance package. How is it legal to fire me from that job, offer me a severance package if I totally leave the company, and if I don't, I have to take a cut in pay? Should I get all of this in writing? I don't trust my my executive superviser. What is your advice on employment in Kentucky?

[Edited by herspot on 11-18-2000 at 06:02 PM]

K

kyjo

Kentucky is an "At Will State", which means...an employer may terminate you when ever the employer feels they no longer need your services. If you feel that you were unfairly treated because of age, sex, etc, contact your state EEOC office.
If you do not feel that you have been disciminated against, be thankful that this company offered you "options". Many organizations have backed away from including "severance packages" as a part of their policies.
Good Luck in your new ventures, whatever they may be!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">