• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bizzare methods used to layoff employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indiana jones

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Please share your experiences on unusual ways that companies have used to layoff or terminate their employees. If anyone knows of a more appropriate website to post these items, please let me know.

Here is what I have seen so far:

1. From a colleague at another company:
A group of employees was asked to work on an overtime project on a weekend. As soon as all of those employees had arrived, management informed that they were all being laid off. No one was paid any time for showing up (I thought there was a state law that required a minimum number of hours for reporting to work)

2. From a coworker:
Hourly employees were required to work an extreme amount of overtime. All work was performed inside the plant. Any employee who became sick on the job or passed out from fatigue was terminated.

justalayman

The first one; I have seen similar, though not quite as nasty. The employess would be due any time before firing.

The second one; sounds like the military, only they just make you do it again tomorrow

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, only a very few states have "reporting time" pay requirements and to the best of my knowledge, Indiana is not one of them.

indiana jones

What state do you live in? Indiana

I did not intend to bring up a legal issue this time.

Instead, I just wanted to learn how companies layoff their employees; whether it be honorable, open, secretive, ruthless, possibly illegal or even humorous. I haven't yet found a web site specifically for that purpose, but this one was really close.

I was laid off from a company that was under intense pressure to post a profit (or else). However, management did tell us a few months earlier that working conditions would become very difficult and staff reductions could occur anytime, perhaps with no rhyme or reason.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But this is not a chat room for discussing all things employment. It's a forum for providing general legal information, specifically, in this section, employment law.

indiana jones

Hi cbg,

I will keep searching for a more appropriate website. If you or anyone else knows of one, please let me know.

Also, thanks for providing some insight on my earlier comment "I thought there was a state law that required that the employer pay at least X number of hours for reporting to work".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">