• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackballed in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

relanne

This is a bit involved so Ill try to be as concise as possible.

In 1998 I was hired as the Network Administrator, Support engineer and general technical person for a startup Internet Service provider in Michigan. Over the next 2 years, I was the only technical person at the company, wearing at least three to four hats at once. I had a written employment contract guaranteeing wages, benefits etc. During my tenure, the contract was violated in small ways repeatedly. At the end of my first year with the company, I was asked to work out details for a new network for a planned expansion into the portal market. I was promised more help so I could work on the new project. As it turned out I did not receive the new help and when my contract was nearing the end of its term, it was repeatedly violated by my employer. As a result, I used the termination clause in the contract to leave the company. After leaving, they refused to pay the severence amount shown in the contract, and I had to threaten legal action. They then contacted me about a month after I left to ask if I would return if they made good on the contract. I agreed and was offered a new position with the newly formed company they had begun and absorbed the old one into. After a few months, directly after getting the new network online, and training some technicians, I was fired. No severence, and I was told that since the new company was an Arab American portal site, and I was not arab american, I did not fit the image the new company wished to project. Again I threatened legal action for discrimination, however I have no real proof since the only people present at my firing were two of the corporate officers. Now when I try to apply for a job, I get great interviews, however when new prospective employers attempt to call my old job, I suddenly bcome a pariah. I have considered having some friends call the company and ask for a reference and tape the conversation so I can get some idea of what they are saying. I am basically blackballed. Is there anything I can do? I have been out of work for almost a year thanks to this. I now live in Ohio, the company is still based in michigan, I have lost our rented house and been forced into a mobile home, and I am about to lose my car.

L

loku

Ban references

It sounds like you have a good idea. If they are telling lies about you, you have a claim against them for defamation. I am not sure about the admissability of taped phone calls (I am not expert in this so check this out), so one alternative is to have your friends send letters to them requesting references, rather than making phone calls.

R

rivulus

This sounds along the same lines as what's been happening to me for 4 years now. See my post "Termination Info".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">