• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackmailed into leaving quietly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awatchme

What is the name of your state? California

My husband has been working at a gas station/car wash as their night guy for about 4 months. His last 3 paychecks bounced, though the company was good about giving us cash as soon as we let them know, as well as covering the bounced check fee. However, when this last one bounced, my husband and I had had enough, and my husband told the manager that he was giving his 2 weeks and that he would only accept his last paychecks in cash and that if that didn't happen, he would report to the California Labor Board.
Well, yesterday my husband went into work, as usual, and the owner was there. She basically told him that he needed to quit quietly and not pursue any Labor Law action, or she would fire him and try to prosecute him for stealing from the store. Now, when my husband started working there, the managers told him that it was okay to take a soda, a bag of chips... as long as he didn't abuse the privilege. Apparently, the owner has her son watch the surveillance tapes and add up everything that the employees take and don't pay for, so over 4 months, my husband has taken (which he was told was okay) upwards of $300 worth of merchandise. So, the owner has him on tape eating and drinking on the job, but my husband has no way to prove that he was told this was okay.

Please give me advice! Should we just let the bounced paycheck/blackmail issue drop to avoid a potential criminal case against my husband, or does the owner not have much of a case and we should pursue a complaint with the labor board? Please help!

Thank you!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

awatchme said:
What is the name of your state? California

My husband has been working at a gas station/car wash as their night guy for about 4 months. His last 3 paychecks bounced, though the company was good about giving us cash as soon as we let them know, as well as covering the bounced check fee. However, when this last one bounced, my husband and I had had enough, and my husband told the manager that he was giving his 2 weeks and that he would only accept his last paychecks in cash and that if that didn't happen, he would report to the California Labor Board.
Well, yesterday my husband went into work, as usual, and the owner was there. She basically told him that he needed to quit quietly and not pursue any Labor Law action, or she would fire him and try to prosecute him for stealing from the store. Now, when my husband started working there, the managers told him that it was okay to take a soda, a bag of chips... as long as he didn't abuse the privilege. Apparently, the owner has her son watch the surveillance tapes and add up everything that the employees take and don't pay for, so over 4 months, my husband has taken (which he was told was okay) upwards of $300 worth of merchandise. So, the owner has him on tape eating and drinking on the job, but my husband has no way to prove that he was told this was okay.

Please give me advice! Should we just let the bounced paycheck/blackmail issue drop to avoid a potential criminal case against my husband, or does the owner not have much of a case and we should pursue a complaint with the labor board? Please help!

Thank you!

My response:

And you REALLY need someone to give you an answer?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">