• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

blowing your car horn and being terminated for it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smooth_cocoa7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? lousiana

Two co-workers were walking in the street. I blew my horn so they would know I was approaching and not to veer to the right. They screamed and jumped. I called within two minutes of their fright to apologize. Two days later, when we came back to work, they told my boss about the incident and I was fired. Can you lose your job for something that occurs off the clock with a co-worker?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? lousiana

Two co-workers were walking in the street. I blew my horn so they would know I was approaching and not to veer to the right. They screamed and jumped. I called within two minutes of their fright to apologize. Two days later, when we came back to work, they told my boss about the incident and I was fired. Can you lose your job for something that occurs off the clock with a co-worker?
Short answer: Yes.

smooth_cocoa7

Yes, it is legal to fire you for that.

I wasn't directly behind them. They were on the right hand side and I was passing them by. I didn't want them to get hit by any sudden moves they may have made. I was traveling at a speed of 20 mph. There was a foot of space between them and my car because the street was narrow.
Is that really a cause for termination?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Yes, it really is. It's called "at-will" employment. You can be fired for anything that isn't specifically prohibited by law.

commentator

It may not be considered gross misconduct by the unemployment office. You can file for unemployment benefits and will tell the claims taker what happened, and what was said when you were terminated. They will ask if there was a company policy about this behavior. They will ask if you had had any prior warnings or write ups concerning this type of behavior.

They will contact the employer and will ask for specific details about the incident that led to your firing. Then a decision will be made whether you qualify for benefits. Either party can appeal this decision, at which time there would be a hearing. Both parties will present evidence, and the referee will decide if the company had a good misconduct reason to terminate you. If so, you do not get benefits. If not, you do.

But as for the company being able to fire you for this, yes, they can fire you for any reason the mind can conceive. They can fire you for wearing the proverbial "green socks" to work. Anything. Because they were having a bad day. If they hadn't wanted to fire you, they didn't have to believe these co-workers. But obviously, they did want to, and they did. Unemployment insurance until you find another job is your only possible recourse.

smooth_cocoa7

my witness

Remembered he forgot to log out and realized he didn't have his badge with him. He stood in front of the 201 building, looking for someone to let him in.
He witnessed me blowing my horn because cynthia and gabrielle were walking in the street. They jumped when I blew.
When I disappeared around the curve, cynthia started dancing in the street. He went up to them and they were discussing where they were going to go and drink some beer. This was at 7:05 in the morning.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Remembered he forgot to log out and realized he didn't have his badge with him. He stood in front of the 201 building, looking for someone to let him in.
He witnessed me blowing my horn because cynthia and gabrielle were walking in the street. They jumped when I blew.
When I disappeared around the curve, cynthia started dancing in the street. He went up to them and they were discussing where they were going to go and drink some beer. This was at 7:05 in the morning.
Man! That really really sucks and is SOOOO unfair. :rolleyes:

However, it is perfectly legal.

Just Blue

So???
Did you read the responses you received?? :confused:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
You were LEGALLY fired. Maybe it wasn't fair, but it was LEGAL.

It doesn't matter if somebody forgot his badge. It doesn't matter if Cynthia is a dancing alcoholic. It doesn't matter if Gabrielle is a dancing alcoholic. It doesn't matter if the guy who forgot his badge didn't log out. It doesn't matter if the entire employee roster are dancing alcoholics who don't log out and forget their badges.

Your only issue is whether you can draw unemployment while you look for another job. Re-read commentator's post, please.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
It all boils down to this:

There are some reasons for which it would be illegal to terminate you. It would be illegal to fire you because of your race. It would be illegal to fire you because of your religion. It would be illegal to fire you because of your sex, your national origin, your color, or any one of very specific characteristics that have to do with illegal discrimination.

This does not mean if you're Caucasian, etc., you can't be fired. It means you can't be fired because you're Caucasian, etc.

These requirements have some wiggle room and a few exceptions, but those exceptions are also very specific and nothing you have posted indicates that any of them would apply.

You're fired. Period. Say it out loud.

Now go apply for your unemployment benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">