• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonding - financial services industry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olderbutwiser

What is the name of your state? CA

I have worked in the financial services industry for 30 years (in an administrative area). Early in my career, I was charged with petty theft and completed pretrial diversion. This was in the early 1980s. It was an isolated event and my career progressed uneventfully for quite a long time. Note: the event was not associated with work at all.

I now find myself in the uncomfortable position of being asked whether I've participated in such a program when applying for jobs in my industry. What recourse do I have? Is there any statute of limitations, as it were, on such activity and the need to report it? Is there a process by which it can be expunged? Do employers really have access to that sort of information dating back 25+ years? Is my best bet now to embark on a speaker's tour advising young kids to think before they act?

Last edited:

moburkes

What is the name of your state? CA

I have worked in the financial services industry for 30 years. Early in my career, I was charged with petty theft and completed pretrial diversion. This was in the early 1980s. It was an isolated event and my career progressed uneventfully for quite a long time.

I now find myself in the uncomfortable position of being asked whether I've participated in such a program when applying for jobs in my industry. What recourse do I have? Is there any statute of limitations, as it were, on such activity and the need to report it? Is there a process by which it can be expunged? Do employers really have access to that sort of information dating back 25+ years? Is my best bet now to embark on a speaker's tour advising young kids to think before they act?
You have to answer the question truthfully. In CA, the question should have a time frame attached to it.

olderbutwiser

Question which appears on financial services job applications:

Example 1:

*Have you ever been convicted** of any crime involving dishonesty or breach of trust such as theft or falsification? (If yes, please explain below.)

**For crimes involving dishonesty or breach of trust, "convicted" includes a plea of guilty, nolo contendre, no contest, or similar plea, participation in a pre-trial diversion or deferred entry of judgment program even if the program was completed and charges were dismissed, bail forfeiture, or verdict or finding of guilt, with respect to either a felony or misdemeanor. You may omit juvenile court convictions and completely expunged convictions. For all other crimes, the definition of "conviction" is the same, except it does not include participation in a pre-trial diversion or deferred entry of judgment program if charges were ultimately dismissed.

=======

Example 2:

Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense, pleaded no contest to charges or agreed to enter in a pre-trial diversion or similar program in lieu of a criminal prosecution for any crime other than a minor traffic violation? *

moburkes

No, you're right. I completely forgot that you said financial services industry. Those are common questions. However, if you are honest, they are likely to question you about it, and, if the rest of your qualifications seem to fit, there will be no issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">