• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonus repayment and recoup from last check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunset_says

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

Two part inquiry.

1 - I am a salaried worker who received a starting bonus. I signed an agreement which stipulates if I leave the company prior to a year I must repay the entire bonus within 60 days. Since I am not a contractual worker, is it legal for them to require me to repay any wages (even a bonus)? If I do have to repay the bonus, could you possible point out the applicable section of Cali labor laws (as I could not find this info).

2 - I plan to quit my job with no notice. If I understand correctly the company must pay all wages within 72 hours. If I do indeed have to repay the bonus, can they recoup the bonus from my last paycheck?

Thanks in advance!

pattytx

California is very strict about what can be deducted from your pay. Even if you signed an authorization to allow such deductions, they can only be for certain purposes and paying back a bonus or loan or similar does not qualify.
See here: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Deductions.htm

If you signed an agreement that obligates you to repay the signing bonus, you are probably legally required to do so and the employer can come after you civilly if you do not repay. But they cannot deduct it from your final check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">