• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boss full of promises

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

butrfly

What is the name of your state? ohio
i started a job in february of 2003.. upon recieving my first paycheck i noticed there were no taxes taken out and after asking my boss why he answered that he was allowed to pay me up to a certain amount before putting me on as an employee. after this amount was met he continued to pay me under the table. my questions are this:
1) is this legal?
2) how do i know whether i am covered by workmans comp
3) in june my boss said he would not send a 1099 form and now after being fired he says he will. is this legal?
Thank you

Beth3

1. No. Not unless you met all the criteria to be considered an independent contractor rather than an employee.

2. You don't. Given the facts in your post, a logical assumption would be that you are not. For all you know, the guy may not even have WC insurance on anybody.

3. Uh, I'm not sure what you're asking. Legal to change his mind? If you don't receive a W-2, he must provide you with a 1099. My guess is that you have been paid improperly as an IC however. You may want to contact your State's Department of Labor and pursue this with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">