• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boss is horrible please answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deathjr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? fl

hello i have a few things that are quite concerning
my boss is threatening everyone's job if someone says something he doesn't want to hear

hear is a few things he is doing
not paying workers for hours they work as "punishment"
they take a hour out of our lunch break and say we cant use it or where fired
they refuse to give me my employment contract
they contact us after hours to threaten our jobs and ruin our nights
they give weeks off if you dont do enough work
it cant be legal to harass your workers and take there money they work for
how should i handle this i don't want to find a new job i just want someone to straighten there act and show them its wrong

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

The only thing you mentioned that seems questionable is taking away pay for hours worked. They can make you take a lunch break and not pay for it. They can tell you not to work overtime. They can be mean to you.

commentator

First of all, lets make sure of something. Is this a W-2, taxpaying employer, or are they paying you cash under the table, or telling you that you are an independent contractor? Assume they're a regular employer, for discussion's sake. If so, they are obligated to pay you at least the minimum wage for hours you have worked. All of them. Keep up with your work. If he says he won't pay you, listen to what he threatens, keep up with your hours, and if he really doesn't do it (instead of just trying to use the threat as a tool to drive you) you will need to contact the Federal Wage and Hour department. You do not have to tell him you are going to, they will not tell him which employee has contacted them. They will, eventually, investigate.

First of all, threatening to fire you, yelling at you, ordering you around, those are not illegal. These are just his poor management techniques. Unless he is cursing you and using very abusive language, particularly regarding your sex, race, religious affiliation, throwing things at you, physically striking you, the actions are nothing but bullying, which is not against labor laws. A boss calling you at home to threaten you about the job sounds really strange. He sounds very over-involved. Does he threaten you and disturb your family when he calls? Why not politely tell him you are busy, and hang up on him? So he fires you? So what? I know you may really need the job, may really need work, and it's hard to find good jobs. But while you are working for him, be looking very hard for another job, this is NOT a good one. In good times, jerks like this do not keep good people working for them long.

Yes, really, he can fire you, for just about anything. He can walk in at any time and not like the color of your socks, and scream "Get out, you're fired!" and it is legal for him to do so. If he is a regular employer, and he fires you this way, leave and file at once for unemployment insurance. Then begin looking for other jobs. In Florida's messed up unemployment system it will take a while, but eventually, a person who is fired without a valid misconduct reason should have a good chance to be approved for unemployment until he finds another job. That's your only recourse with this type of employer.

But while at work, keep in mind. He needs you, and if he drives all his good employees away with his behavior, it is really his loss. When he screams and yells and threatens, try to keep your dignity. Do not argue with him or try to retaliate by doing a poor job or by threatening or muttering about how badly you're being treated. Find another job and leave without notice when you have it. Do not lose your cool and punch him in the face before you leave, that's a legitimate firing offense and no unemployment will be forthcoming. But keep your dignity and keep your professional calm, even if he loses his. If he gets so wild he pushes, punches, or assaults you, stop what you are doing and call the police and press assault charges against him. You have good grounds to quit in this circumstance.

Okay, it sounds like you've been trying to be the big Norma Rae character here, but the fact is, without a labor union, you don't have any rights much at all on the job. You've been arguing with your boss and you're demanding a copy of your employment contract, which you probably don't even have, and if you do, they don't have to give it to you. Florida is not an employee friendly state. You may not WANT to have to get another job, but face it, you do not have the power legally, in today's workplace, to FIX this employer and MAKE them treat people who work there decently. Give up this futile fight and move on. That is your only recourse, remember, they have the right to fire you, but you also have the right to leave them and find a better job where you are well treated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">