• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss lied to me when hiring...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Diabolus

I live in New Jersey..

Anyways, here's my problem...

I started a new job where I negotiated my salary before I got it. My boss told me I might have to work a few extra hours if there were projects due and given that I'm on salary, I agreed to that. It really isn't a big deal for me anyways.

However... the first day there I was told that I have to stay late EVERY Monday and Thursday. Now if it was for an hour or two, fine, I might even overlook it. But I stay on Mondays and Thursdays, from 8:30am, to 10:30pm at night.

I brought this up with my boss, and he said "I distinctly remember telling you this before you started." and I know for a fact he's wrong because when I talked with the girl that runs HR (she was present for my hiring), she could not remember them saying this either. In fact, the handbook also says that a salaried employee works from 8:30-5:30, and occasionally later than that, which is what I agreed to with them.

I have already approached my boss about this as I said, and he said he'd get back to me. That was two weeks ago, and he's already questioning me "why do you feel you deserve more money?"

I am between a rock and a hard place right now, and I just want to know my options. Apparently from what I hear from other employees, this place takes advantage of their workers and you really have to fight to get things in your favor. Since there is not a lot of work out there for a person just out of college, I'm stuck here until I find something else but I don't want to be taken advantage of because I'm a 'nice guy.'

Any advice would really be appreciated.

HomeGuru

>iginally posted by Diabolus [/i]
I live in New Jersey..

Anyways, here's my problem...

I started a new job where I negotiated my salary before I got it. My boss told me I might have to work a few extra hours if there were projects due and given that I'm on salary, I agreed to that. It really isn't a big deal for me anyways.

However... the first day there I was told that I have to stay late EVERY Monday and Thursday. Now if it was for an hour or two, fine, I might even overlook it. But I stay on Mondays and Thursdays, from 8:30am, to 10:30pm at night.

I brought this up with my boss, and he said "I distinctly remember telling you this before you started." and I know for a fact he's wrong because when I talked with the girl that runs HR (she was present for my hiring), she could not remember them saying this either. In fact, the handbook also says that a salaried employee works from 8:30-5:30, and occasionally later than that, which is what I agreed to with them.

I have already approached my boss about this as I said, and he said he'd get back to me. That was two weeks ago, and he's already questioning me "why do you feel you deserve more money?"

I am between a rock and a hard place right now, and I just want to know my options. Apparently from what I hear from other employees, this place takes advantage of their workers and you really have to fight to get things in your favor. Since there is not a lot of work out there for a person just out of college, I'm stuck here until I find something else but I don't want to be taken advantage of because I'm a 'nice guy.'

Any advice would really be appreciated.
[/QUOTE]

**A: thanks for writing.

O

oberauerdorf

I can't wait for the sequel....:D

No, I mean, I can't wait. The horses need fed and the stream needs cleaning...

Is this going to be on Cable?

Diabolus

oberauerdorf said:
I can't wait for the sequel....:D

No, I mean, I can't wait. The horses need fed and the stream needs cleaning...

Is this going to be on Cable?
Is this forum messed up or something, not sure where these replies come from...

Beth3

Here's the short answer: you're screwed.

Even if the boss purposefully held back that info, you can't do a thing about it. Maybe he lied, maybe he forgot, maybe he changed his mind after you were hired. Doesn't matter. Absent an employment contract, your employer is free to change the terms of your employment at any time. They could have informed you the day you were hired that you have to work 100 hours/week.

What you should do is very quietly start up your job search again and if you're asked in an interview why you're looking for a new job so quickly, explain that the hours of work were misrepresented to you during the recruiting process. You need to be careful how you present this because (a) you do not want to bash your present employer (a kiss of death when interviewing) and (b) you want to make it clear you are willing to work extra hours but that had you known the actual hours you'd be required to work on this job (which I agree are fairly onerous), you would not have accepted this position.

In the meantime, your best option is to go with the flow, learn what you can, and use that to springboard to a better job with better hours. Making too big a stink about the work schedule could cause the boss to show you the door - and getting fired from your first job out of college is not a good way to start your career.

Diabolus

Beth3 said:
Here's the short answer: you're screwed.

Even if the boss purposefully held back that info, you can't do a thing about it. Maybe he lied, maybe he forgot, maybe he changed his mind after you were hired. Doesn't matter. Absent an employment contract, your employer is free to change the terms of your employment at any time. They could have informed you the day you were hired that you have to work 100 hours/week.

What you should do is very quietly start up your job search again and if you're asked in an interview why you're looking for a new job so quickly, explain that the hours of work were misrepresented to you during the recruiting process. You need to be careful how you present this because (a) you do not want to bash your present employer (a kiss of death when interviewing) and (b) you want to make it clear you are willing to work extra hours but that had you known the actual hours you'd be required to work on this job (which I agree are fairly onerous), you would not have accepted this position.

In the meantime, your best option is to go with the flow, learn what you can, and use that to springboard to a better job with better hours. Making too big a stink about the work schedule could cause the boss to show you the door - and getting fired from your first job out of college is not a good way to start your career.
Yea I haven't said I don't want to work the hours... I already told him the hours aren't a big deal and made nice about the whole thing and kept up my work ethic.

I know they are taking advantage of me, and it's why they have a very bad turnover rate. So instead of getting mad, I'll get even later on. I'll quit, give a week's notice, and that will be that. I am better than most kids my age at the job I'm doing, so when I quit... they will just have to miss me and the work I do.

Diabolus

I am curious about one thing though...

How can an employer one day say hey, you're going to work 15 hours more a week and we're not going to pay you more, no negotiations?

I fail to see how that is legally sound... employees seem to have no rights in that case and from what I'm reading in this forum.. in many cases.

HomeGuru

Diabolus said:
Yea I haven't said I don't want to work the hours... I already told him the hours aren't a big deal and made nice about the whole thing and kept up my work ethic.

I know they are taking advantage of me, and it's why they have a very bad turnover rate. So instead of getting mad, I'll get even later on. I'll quit, give a week's notice, and that will be that. I am better than most kids my age at the job I'm doing, so when I quit... they will just have to miss me and the work I do.
**A: Oh brother, a kid. Ok, get real even. Give a 5 minute notice, in the next 10 minutes.

Diabolus

HomeGuru said:
**A: Oh brother, a kid. Ok, get real even. Give a 5 minute notice, in the next 10 minutes.
Haha, I'm not a 'kid' persey... 23 years old but I'm young at heart :) Besides most of the people coming out of college in my position wouldn't be able to do the work. My title is 'systems analyst' but i'm really the jack of all trades here.

The 5 minute notice... is that a bad idea in the long run? I mean... when I get another job lined up I'd love to just walk in and say "I QUIT!" and leave that day... but I am not sure about the long term ramifications of doing that.

O

oberauerdorf

I fail to see how that is legally sound... employees seem to have no rights in that case and from what I'm reading in this forum.. in many cases.
Welcome to L.I.F.E. sometimes it sucks, other times it sucks with braces :eek:

Beth3

"How can an employer one day say hey, you're going to work 15 hours more a week and we're not going to pay you more, no negotiations?" Because they're the employer and the employer gets to make the rules. When you start your own company, you'll get to make the rules. If you make lousy rules, then you can expect to experience a considerable amount of turnover and the extremely high cost impact that will have on your business.

"I fail to see how that is legally sound... employees seem to have no rights in that case and from what I'm reading in this forum.. in many cases." You do have rights. Among them is the right to quit any job at any time if you decide you don't like it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">