• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss Oks something, then they fire associate for doing it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wotmudplayer

Texas

Situation: My wife was having inventory come up and they wanted a hand. About 6 months ago I had permission by the district manager of the company that I could help with the inventory, even though I was not an employee. After the inventory was over, they had a loss that was greater than they would like and got flagged. During the investigation by Loss prevention they found out that I worked there 6 months ago and this inventory. They then terminated my wife and the store manager. I mean, they got the OK from a superior supervisor... Is this wrong?

Also, I remember hearing before that you have the right to know who accused you of the action. Can my wife find out who reported the incident? Or does that follow under a different law?

Proserpina

Texas

Situation: My wife was having inventory come up and they wanted a hand. About 6 months ago I had permission by the district manager of the company that I could help with the inventory, even though I was not an employee. After the inventory was over, they had a loss that was greater than they would like and got flagged. During the investigation by Loss prevention they found out that I worked there 6 months ago and this inventory. They then terminated my wife and the store manager. I mean, they got the OK from a superior supervisor... Is this wrong?

It might seem wrong or unfair, but it is not illegal.

Also, I remember hearing before that you have the right to know who accused you of the action. Can my wife find out who reported the incident? Or does that follow under a different law?
There is no such law. (Well, there is - in criminal cases. Not so with employment law)

Betty

It "might" have been unfair but unfair does not equal illegal. In at-will employment, you can be terminated at any time for any reason (or no reason) except a reason prohibited by law (example - religion, gender, race.....) or unless there is a binding employment contract to the contrary.

Also, she does not need to be told who reported the incident.

She needs to file for unemployment ins. (if she has not already done so) & look for other employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
they got the OK from a superior supervisor... Is this wrong?

No. Clearly the higher ups disagreed with the decision, and rightly so. By approving this, the company was put in the position of having quite likely been in violation of wage and hour laws. Not only was it not "wrong" (by which I assume you mean illegal) to term your wife and the manager, I agree that some level of discipline was warranted. Termination may have been a bit extreme, but it was in no way illegal.

I remember hearing before that you have the right to know who accused you of the action. Can my wife find out who reported the incident? Or does that follow under a different law?

Only applies in criminal law, sport. In employment law there is no such right, and in fact it is SOP to not release that information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
By approving this, the company was put in the position of having quite likely been in violation of wage and hour laws.
Not to mention the HUGE liability this placed on the company had the "volunteer" been injured...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">