• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss saying I resigned but I didn't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ndlradar

Texas and Wisconsin

Upon a conversation with the CEO of my company (I am the President) due to the parent companies lack of fiscal responsibility it is necessary to reorganize my position and my department. After much discussion I expressed concern to the CEO that this reorganization may not fit in with the goals of the organization and the team as a whole and that I would like to discuss my options which included staying on as President, resignation or any other options face to face. We agreed and have scheduled a meeting for next week.

However, at work today I have received e-mail communications and phone messages from my employees who were informed that I had resgined effective immediately. I have not resigned at all and was shocked to hear this. What are the ramifications of this and what should I do?

Beth3

It's not illegal for the CEO to announce to everyone that you have resigned, no matter how untrue it is. It's bad form to do such a thing without discussing your "resignation" with you first and has the potential to be embarassing for the CEO if the real situation becomes known but that's the extent of it.

If I were you, I'd get in to see him asap and find out what's going on but it seems obvious he's decided the two of you need to go your separate ways. He has his mind set on taking the company in a particular direction (no matter how ill-advised) that you don't support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">