• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss tells me to resign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loumckellar

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WI
I am the director of transportation for a school district. The superintendent of schools walked into my office and asked how I thought things were going. Some parents had complained that the post cards they received with busing information had midnight as a pick up time. Others complained they did not receive cards. He told me that I should take the weekend and think about resigning. That I should not remain until my contract expires in June 30, 2006. If I decided to do that, he would convene a board and everyone would know how incompetent I am! He had "investigated" me- asking me questions, but wanting yes or no answers. We have suffered numerous computer issues, policy changes, etc. I think this constitutes constructive termination. While I am committed to remaining for the long haul, I know that his abuse will get more intense. When it does, am I legal to ask him to refrain from verbally abuse, record the conversations, etc?

seniorjudge

Q: When it does, am I legal to ask him to refrain from verbally abuse, record the conversations, etc?

A: Sure. I don't know if that will happen, but it won't hurt to ask.

Beth3

If the problems with the bussing information and postcards are true, then I wouldn't classify his behavior as abuse. If you don't fix the problems pronto, then your choices apparently will be (a) stay and work out the balance of your contract but be prepared for your performance problems to become well-known, or (2) offer to resign in exchange for a neutral reference in order to keep your professional reputation intact.

loumckellar

A little more complicated than that!

That was one side of the story-his! On the other, our district has been plagued by computer problems. We have five different buildings, each operating on their own. Before we shifted to a new student management system, each school had it's own and sent backups to the main server. At one point, we discovered updates to the main server had not occurred for more than three months.

Compounding the problem, we could update a school's computer remotely but could not update it to the central server. So we shifted to a new version of the software, but encountered new problems with it. It could not schedule the classrooms, so secretaries were dual reporting.

The system has multiple ghosts of students without a common similarity. The report writer we use does not see a student until there is a zero placed in the transportation field- it does not read nulls. We established a protocol for the new school year by using July 1 as the new date. Students are inactive until the new school year. Because of making it easier to do a state report, the administrators started using Sep 1 as the new date, which left students inactive until Sep 1. We were scurrying two days before school started to put 280 fifth graders on buses.

We routinely have mail returned throughout the organization because the wrong addresses are reported. Our email system has a filter which also routinely places good emails in the trash.

I suppose my concern is the investigation was held using "Yes" and "No" responses (directed by the superintendent). All that was missing was a kangaroo!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">