• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss threatened to fire me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JolieMyst

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My boss threatened to fire me if I don't work the full amount of overtime that everyone else on my job is working. I am working 9 hours. My babysitter doesn't want to baby sit for my child any longer than that so I've been going home after 9 hours. When I filled out my employment application 10 years ago, one of the questions was can you work overtime. I checked yes. Then at the bottom where I signed it, it said that I agree that if any of this information was found to be false it was grounds for dismissal. I was showed my application today and reminded of this. Also, when I started running this particular job at work, my boss agreed that I could go home after 9 hours. Can he legally fire me for not working overtime?

Beth3

"Can he legally fire me for not working overtime?" Yes. Your babysitting problems are not the boss's problem (although I am very sympathetic to your situation.)

Your boss does not have to refer to the wording on a 10-year old application form to have some basis to terminate you for not working all the OT he demands. All he needs to say is "Sorry but this is not working out. See ya."

If at all possible, you should try and line up another babysitter for those times when you have to work more than nine hours (a friend? a family member?) so you don't lose your job and you may wish to consider looking for a new job with a more family-friendly culture.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">