• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boss threatened me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state?PA
This is a anonymous letter I sent to our Human Resource Vice President about my Department Director showing favoritism to his brother-in-law who worked for the hospital in the past & was getting hired again after 20 years.
After the letter is what my happened to me for writing it.

I would like to report favoritism being shown to an employee by a department director. It is K. favoring his brother-in-law, J. How professional is it to hire your Brother in Law?
K. believes this is a personal situation and should not effect your work environment.
That would be naive to believe this. Everyone knows how uneasy it makes workers to have to work with the boss's relative especially the people with negative experiences with J. they will always wonder what he is telling K, and that is bad for morale.
It maybe true J. had no disciplinary actions against him when he worked here in the past. The reason for that is simple, no one would dare tell K. his future brother-in-law was a problem, it could have jeopardized your job.

K. did ask how we felt about it at a meeting and no one said anything at that time and K. said "don't everyone talk at once", and no one said a word. He should have known then that he hit a sour spot. It would have been better to send a paper around with yes or no to check so everyone can stay anonymous.
We all knew K. wanted J. no questions asked after we saw the job posting.
K. wrote a job description that is so narrow only his brother-in-law would qualify.
How can we be sure we found the right person for the job it was never posted outside the hospital? It looks like this job opening had to be a secret. The posting for the job was not even correct. It did not mention that the South Campus has an automated system and has a very specific software program, which operates everything from heating and cooling, to the lights in the parking lot. The operator must know what he is doing or he can shut down equipment and cause damages.

Look at Js previous years of employment here at the Hospital.
When working in the boiler room he was involved in a one-car accident injuring his knee. He tried to get disability but could not. He went back to work in the Boiler Room and in a short time claimed he fell and hurt his knee at work. His doctor told him to go on light duty. Engineering had no light duty positions, but K. made one for him answering the phones in the Engineering Office even though the secretary already did that. Or it may have been the roomer that J. had a Law Suit against the hospital was true and that is how he got his way.
After some time a refrigeration/air conditioning person was needed.
J. was still on light duty, but suddenly he was released from light duty and qualified for the refrigeration job without any experience. Shortly afterward it became common knowledge that K. was dating J's sister.
As one person said, "K. should have said he was sleeping with J's sister, don't waist the time applying for the job".

After working and bullying anyone he could on the job, J. suddenly decides to go to another state. With no home or job he left like someone running from the law. After about 10 years he moved back here. What does he do with all of the experience and job training he got? He takes a job driving Amish workers to work sites. Then what a coincidence a job becomes available in Engineering. K. writes a job description that J. is 100% perfect for.

K. may claim not to favor J. but there are some coincidences. I will promise you that J. will exploit his relationship with K. at every opportunity. Judging from the past J. has gotten a lot of favors and "why is that?" should be asked.

Thank You

My director suspected it was I and confronted me very aggressively about the letter.
I knew I had no chance with him on my own, so I went to the Human Resource Director. I told her the whole story how the brother-in-law had screwed me on a loan I cosigned for him 20 years ago and how I know he did this to others and should not have a job here.
I also explained that I and others that work here have gotten conned by this guy and did tell this to our director but he gave his Brother-in-Law the job anyway.

The H.R. Director did not know why he would have confronted me with this. She then went on to say she understood just how I felt (I do believe she did). She also told me she did not recommend this Brother-in-law be hired. But told my director "he was a big boy now and if this is what he wanted, she would not stand in his way".
She did not think what I wrote was a big deal and told me to explain to my director how sorry I was and everything should be ok, because my directory is a Professional and would handle this correctly.
I told her I thought I would be terminated for this. She said "Oh Jim! don't be silly you are one of the best employees we have. In 25 years you have had no disciplinary actions, your attendance was perfect last year, before that you have only missed a few days a year. You! would have to screw up a lot worse than this be for I would terminate you".

Well I went to my director after this pep talk thinking maybe I'm wrong about him.
But Oh No! He did what he always dose, go into a rage. He told me how I slandered him and hurt his reputation and said I was saying derogator things about his wife. Then I told him was getting aggressive, and he said "aggressive!" "aggressive!", "I think this is a matter that should be settled outside of work, Do you want settle it outside of work?"
I answered no and he went on to tell me "I would not get absolution from him."
After this I went to where I work and call Human Resource Director and left a message I was going to resign because of this.
A few minutes later my supervisor came in to show me some safety stuff.
I told him not to bother, I will be resigning. He told me he would not take my resignation because I'm the only one who knows how this place operates. He to has been subject to the directors rage and told me "he is shaking mad right now give him a few days and he will forget about it like he always dose." By this time I was going into a full-blown anxiety attract. I take Celexa to control this, but it wasn't enough this day. My supervisor who was there was worried about me and said I should go home.
For 3 day I stayed in bed with all my anxiety. My supervisor called a couple of times to see how I was, I told him the same, I would be resigning, he told me again he would not except it.

By the end of the week I was ready to talk the H.R. Director, I was able to do this mostly because I doubled my Celexa dose.
I told her about the director's rage and the threat of handling this matter outside of work. She answered "I was told by him the reason for loosing his temper was he heard you said things about his family and he is very protective of his family".
I offered to pay for a polygraph test to prove what I said was the truth. She didn't think that would been needed. Then she told me how everyone loses there temper once and a while and should be forgiven. I was trying to make her understand he dose this all the time. As an end to this she basically said I know you and he can work this out. I told her, he said, " I will never give you any absolution. She answered "he has a little bit of an ego thing there". She also tells me, she said to him "I heard Jim say he was sorry, I don't know why you didn't hear that".
I wanted to say you need to talk to all 15 of the guys in the shop all of them have been subject to his rage for some minor problem. I did not say anything because I know they are scared too and may not back me up.

It has been 4 weeks now and I have not had any contact with my director in any way.
I have been telling some of the story to others and I think some are getting braver and may believe they can trust and get help from Human Recourses with our director.

The hospital I work at has about 1500 employees. I work in Engineering as a Boiler Operator and have turned down the Chief Operators job twice now because I have always known I could not work closely with this director.
The men in this department are 35 to 55, we are not a bunch of kids or crazy, lazy workers always looking for the easy way out.

Could I file charges or should I forget it and be happy they did not do anything to me?

Thank You

:confused:

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
YOu have no grounds to file charges of any kind.

First of all, favoritism is NOT illegal unless it is based on race, religion, national origin etc. Neither is nepotism illegal Nothing in the law made it illegal for the director to fire his brother in law.

Next, the director may or may not have acted unprofessionally in the way he approached you, but he did not violate any laws either. Nothing in the law says he can't yell at you.

You handled the situation just as poorly as he did.

Be glad you still have a job.

Beth3

I would like to report favoritism being shown to an employee by a department director. It is K. favoring his brother-in-law, J. How professional is it to hire your Brother in Law? How professional is it to send an anonymous letter like that to your employer? It's not. If you have legitimate reason to believe someone who is about to be hired will not be an asset to your employer, the proper thing to do is to go and talk to the HR Director and voice your concerns.

You may indeed have a terrible boss but you handled this very badly.

There are no charges to be filed and yes, you should be happy they didn't do anything to you. Right or wrong, they easily could have let you go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">