• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boss using drugs with staff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nervous

i work as part of a team of managers, who are overseen by a director. we confirmed on friday morning that our director went to a local bar with several staff members (18 year old college freshmen), on a recent evening, then went to one of their homes and smoked marijuana. according to the details we received from one of the staff members who were present, the director also jokingly warned the staff members that he could fire them for what they were doing. the next morning, he claimed to have been in the emergency room all night with his sick child. the director does not know that we have this information. our non-profit company is quite conservative, and we are shocked. we are also insulted that we were lied to, etc. our first opportunity to speak with a superior (VP of our division) will be tuesday due to the MLK holiday. i have to work with this man tomorrow, and i am very nervous about seeing him in person. it will be my first day seeing him since i learned of his indiscretion. i am worried that he may have found out what we know before we can speak to our VP, and i would not put it past him to construct a cover-up. on the other hand, isn't his brazen indiscretion a sign of a more serious problem? i need help sorting out how to protect myself and the other managers, how to ensure that he does not get away with this, and advice on how/if to discipline the staff who were present. my state is NY.

gawm

How do you know the staff member who told you this was (A) truthful, (B) not playing a joke, (c) accurate ?

Maybe you should go out with them next time, you seem like you need to loosen up a bit.

If it is not affecting their work performance I would keep quite about it.

danfour

IANAL, but:

Unless

1. There are specific written policies prohibiting drug use outside the office for your organisation.
2. There is clear proof that he broke the terms of his contract in this regard (i.e. legally obtained positive drug test).

Then you have no way to go about getting him fired legally.

Hey - maybe he didn't inhale!

If he's such a bad guy, there should be dozens of legilimate problems you can bring to the VP's attention. Consider what will happen if the VP doesn't see things your way? maybe he/she will side with the Director.

IANAL

sol

Is there anything of Fraternization that can be brought to light. If this person holds a higher position then that may be a way to go.

xylene

What did you 'confirm' and how?

Why would he have said anything about the emergency room?

Do you work for one of those environmental activist scams?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">