• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of proposal letter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sunnyside

What is the name of your state? Ohio

When hired by my current employer, I was given a signed proposal letter outlinging my pay, benefits, and start date. Under benefits, it reads " "Company" will pay for the cost of tuition for graded college courses that are passed with a "C" or better up to the greater of $2,000 per year or $250.00 per credit hour."

I found a class offered at a state college which would allow me to become certified in my field of work. Also, this would enhance my job that I am performing now. I filled out the tuition reimbursement and handed it in to my supervisor for approval. She signed it immediately and I then turned it over to HR for their approval as well. (It was a rush thing as the class starts soon and I needed to get registered.) My supervisor asked me if it was an accredited course and I said no. It does, however, offer a certification and will allow me to use initials of the certification once passing of the exams are completed. (I may be wrong, but in order to pass an exam, you have to be graded, right?) Anyway, I was advised that the General Manager would also have to approve it and was asked to provide an outline of the course w/fees, which I did do.
The next day, my supervisor came to me and said that at our last employee meeting that the General Manager had made a statement about not making any more plans for training as money is tight unless it was already in the works previously. Well, I took that statement to mean training by the company as it does send people for training from time to time and NOT having anything to do with what is offered every employee when hired. (I do payroll and it is offered to every employee when hired). So she was denying my request and said maybe in 2004 I could take it if offered.

My point: I have never used this benefit since my employment began in 2001. To me, I am being denied a benefit that has been put forth in writing and signed by HR. Also, if this statement from the General Mgr. meant school reimbursement, why weren't the managers made aware of this or all employees for that matter?

The meeting took place on the 22nd. My request was on the 29th. She said if I had asked two weeks ago, it would have been approved? I don't follow that logic but oh well. I asked in writing for the original reimbursement form to be returned to me but she has not done so. It has her signature on it as well as mine.

My questions: Can they do this legally, ethically? And she must fear something can be done about this as she is reluctant to return my original form. My proposal letter says "graded course" so am I interpreting it incorrectly? Please advise. Thank you.

S

Sinsaint26

Yes, they can legally do this. If the company is having financial difficulty that is a perfectly legit reason to deny your request. There also may be a problem with the type of course you want to take. You should look into finding a course that is accredited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">