• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Breached" confidentiality agreement at newspaper

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff1320

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi, here we go:

I worked as a copy editor at a newspaper. I was fired, with no warning, for posting a "heads-up" on a fan forum board telling other fans to look for a specific sports story the next day (or within hours of them being posted on the paper's Web site). Important aspects:

1) the story was sent to us from another newspaper, based on an "agreement" we hold with them. I'm awaiting a copy of the confidentiality agreement, but I don't believe it mentioned this relationship with another media source. Again, this story was not our own, and they willfully e-mailed it to me.

2) I did not paste the story itself, but only told people to check them out the next day (or online later that night) by providing a very vague sentence or two of what it was about. I was essentially promoting the story, not stealing it.

3) I was informed my first day on the job that the executive editor did not favor me because I had left the newspaper years ago, worked for a rival media source, then returned. He initiated my firing when it was deduced I had posted on this message board.

I believe there was ulterior motive. Is it even worth pursuing? Worth a shot, I thought.

THanks in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that you were actually fired BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin etc. OR because you applied for or utilized a right or benefit protected under the law (FMLA, workers comp, attending a union meeting etc.) then no, it would be a waste of time to try to take legal action. Based on the facts in your post, nothing illegal has transpired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">