• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking contracts - what rights do I have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Consultant

I recently quit a computer consulting company. My contract states that I have a training reimbursement agreement (I dont have a copy of this agreement and am trying to obtain a copy from the company now. Let's assume that I did in fact sign this agreement for now). I received a bill from the consulting company to reimburse them for some training classes i attended (these were all in-house classes since they teach them). My question is this: What rights do i have as far as not being obligated to pay this bill. My issues with it are as follows:

According to my contract, i was supposed to receive a salary review in July. When i went into my review, my manager told me that I was not entitled to a 'salary' review for another year. I didn't know it was in my contract at the time so I didn't say anything. Was their contract with me broken at that time anyway? When I quit, I was offered a considerable raise to stay. I would assume (incorrectly perhaps?), that if this were my actual value, I would have received this amount at my scheduled salary review and had been missing that income up until the time I left the company.

The classes were taken while I was benched (they had no contract to put me on) and were not requested by me. I also feel that the value of the classes was minimal at best. Were I a paying attendee, I would have left and asked for a reimbursement.

The company also fell through on other promises such as monetary gifts which were promised for passing certifications, etc.

-Consultant

C

Consultant

I forgot to mention, I reside in Indiana and the consulting firm is based in St. Louis, MO (where the contract is from).

-Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">