• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breaking teacher's contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

firstagain

I am a teacher in Illinois, who, for financial reasons, must leave teaching. I did not sign a teaching contract this year, it automatically renews because I am tenured. Is there any way that I can get out of my contract if I connect with a postion outside of teaching? I am willing to resign if the right job will come along and alleviate my stress. Please get back to me promptly - I have an interview today...
Thanks!

D

D. D. Lessenberry

I am not an attorney.

In PA you must give 60 days notice to leave a teaching job.

However, this usually is waived for people LEAVING teaching. I have seen this happen many, many times.

People come to my building, work one day, cry, and leave.

But: if you are going for ANOTHER teaching position, you may well be held to your state's required notice. I have seen THIS happen, too.

I would think the traditional 2 weeks notice would suffice.

Call the State of Illinois Department of Education, wade through all the voice mail, and see what they say, too.

I hope a real lawyer will jump in.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">