• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breech of verbal contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Agamemnon74

What is the name of your state? Florida

A quick question if I may.....

I am employed by a large retailer, I have been for almost five years. I began taking classes at a local vocational center in November of 2001 under the expressed consent of management. I informed them that I can continue to work my scheduled hours, but only those hours because of my commitment elsewhere and they agreed to allow me to. Now, 8 months later and much money spent out of my pocket, I have been warned that they are seeking disciplinary action on me for not working past my scheduled hours. Does this fall under breech of contract (verbal)? I am not looking for any type of damages, just trying to hopefully gain some type of legal grounds so that they will continue to allow me to attend my classes as before promised by management. I can ill afford to be unemployed, but I am not willing to jeapordize my future. Help please!

The tortured scholar,

Agamemnon74

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact that they initially allowed you to work a modified schedule, work only specific hours or not work overtime does not require them to go on doing so forever. Quite frankly, your school schedule is not their concern. If they need you to work additional or different hours, they are allowed to require it. I doubt that the initial permission binds them to any kind of a contract, and I think you'd have an extremely hard time making a contract violation work here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">