• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken agreement to hire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eracer_x

California

Back in September I applied for a job doing armed residential security for a large private estate in Bel-Air. In February of this year (08) I received a call from the representative of the estate inquiring if I was still interested in the job and asking if we could meet for an interview. During the interview the representative stated that in the event I was hired I would be employed by the company which was owned by the owners of the estate and this company would be doing the background investigation and calling my references, which they did, including my current employer. Two weeks later the same representative called and stated he wanted to make me an offer for employment. I then returned to the estate and filled out approximately 6 pages of paperwork including W-2 forms, health benefit forms, etc. I was also shown what my duties would be at the estate. At this time we agreed on a start day and time, which I was given in writing. As I needed to give my current employer notice we agreed on 2 weeks. I then purchased the gear I would need for the new job. 2 days before I was to start the new job I was called by the representative who stated the owners had just decided to cut back on security at this particular estate and wouldn’t need my services after all. I informed him this was terrible timing as I have 3 small children at home and was now out of work with little savings to fall back on. He apologized and told me the decision was final.

I was eventually able to get rehired at my old job but I lost out on 3 weeks of income, my seniority at work, my sick leave, a promotion, not to mention the stress the whole episode put on my family and I, plus the time and money spent on getting prepared for this new job.

So my question is do I have any legal recourse here or do I just try and put it all behind me?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It really doesn't sound like you had an enforceable employment contract. You were "scheduled" to work, and you were let go before you were scheduled...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">