• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

building a case to let me go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tazmanIII

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I suffered an injury that will keep me out of work for 2-4 weeks per note from doctor. On the note the doctor stated I could work from home if possible. I have worked from home efficiently numerous times in the past. Company told me they didn't want me doing anything until they discussed. The next morning an email was sent to all employees, except me, stating that I could not perform my day to day duties and that my return was uncertain. (thats not what the Dr note said). Five days after initial conversation, received a letter from the company stating that I was ok up to certain date, and that absence beyond that certain date would be dealt with at that time. (that date is less than 4 weeks)
Are they laying ground work to possibly let me go? what are my rights? if they do let me go, would I be eligble for unemployment?

thanks in advance

eerelations

How long have you worked there?

How many hours have you worked there in the last 12 months?

How many employees does this company have within a 75-mile radius of you?

eerelations

OK, so I don't think you're eligible for FMLA leave.

Have you talked to your boss about all this? Asked for clarification? If yes, what did your boss say?

commentator

Regardless of what has happened in the meantime, as soon as you are fully released by your doctor (not just to work part-time, or with restrictions or only able to work from home) to return to work, call the employer and tell them so, that you are ready willing and available to come back to work. (even if they have sent you a letter in the meantime telling you you are terminated.)

If at this time, they do not agree to you resuming your job, thank them, and then file for your unemployment insurance. Unless you go back and then quit, or call them and tell them you quit because you can no longer do this job, or do not have your doctor's full release to return to work, you should be able to get approved to draw unemployment until you find another job.

You can never draw unemployment unless you are released by your doctor. You must be able and available for work to certify for weeks of benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">