• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

business expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sammy16

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was terminated from my company and shortly thereafter submitted some final (legitimate) expenses from a business trip I had taken the week before I was let go. I have confirmed that the expense report was, in fact, received.

Two months have now passed and I have not received a check nor have I heard back from the company when I called asking for a status update.

What does the law say about this situation? What should I do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"What does the law say about this situation? "

Nothing. The law does not require them to reimburse you for business expenses, regardless of how legitimate.

"What should I do?"

Decide how many times you want to try to reach them before writing off the expenses.

S

sammy16

So...my company can inform me that as part of my job I am to attend an out-of-town conference, and they can instruct me to put the conference fee and plane fare on my credit card to be reimbursed. Then then can fire me, and have no obligation to cover this expense whatsoever?

Seems a bit odd. Is this true in every state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Most of them. I'm not 100% certain but I believe CA is an exception and that CA employers ARE required to repay business expenses. CA is an exception to so many laws, however, that I may just be assuming it.

I'm not saying it's fair; just that they have no legal obligation to repay you.

I can't guarantee this will work, since there really aren't any legal teeth you can apply, but you might see if a lawyer friend will write them a letter politely requesting that they release payment. If they think they're going to be sued, they might pony up if they think it'll be cheaper than defending a lawsuit. Also, if they intend to pay but have just let it go on this long because of cash flow or other reasons (even laziness) this might bring it to the front of the line.

BTW, what was the reason for your termination? It MIGHT (not will, just might) have some bearing on the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">