• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In CA State if I was hired as a part-time employee and...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alindsay

What is the name of your state? CA

then end up working 5 "part-time" jobs that run sometimes 14 hours a day, over 32 hours per week, does my employer then have to pay me medical benefits? I was told that because I was hired as a pert-time employee ony that I could not receive any medical benefits.

-Ms. Lindsay

Beth3

"does my employer then have to pay me medical benefits?" No.

Among other reasons, we don't know what your employer defines as part-time vs. full-time. Many organizations define full-time employees as those who regularly work 40 hours/week.

In any event, the only thing an employer cannot do is purposefully misclassify an employee for the PURPOSE of avoiding offering benefits. If they want to classify someone as part-time who works 10 different jobs that total in excess of 40 hours/week, they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">