• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calif Unemployment - Terminated at Time Notice Given

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CalBruin

What is the name of your state? California

I gave two weeks notice that I would be leaving my job to prepare for a move to my husband's new job (we will be going from the Valley to Orange County). That same day, my employer terminated me - assumably for giving notice. Is it even worth trying to file for unemployment benefits?

Thanks for your advice!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In some states an employee who gives notice and has that notice accepted effective immediately (which is what has happened to you) can be eligible for unemployment for the notice period. I do not know if California is one of them but it can do no harm to apply. The worst that can happen is that you are turned down.

Since you are the one who instigated the period of unemployment (by giving notice) it is exceedingly unlikely that you will be eligible for anything beyond your notice period unless CA is one of those VERY rare states where you can be eligible for benefits because of moving due to a spousal employment relocation. Again, I don't know if CA is one of those states; there aren't many but there are some.

All in all, it can't hurt to try.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CalBruin said:
What is the name of your state? California

I gave two weeks notice that I would be leaving my job to prepare for a move to my husband's new job (we will be going from the Valley to Orange County). That same day, my employer terminated me - assumably for giving notice. Is it even worth trying to file for unemployment benefits?

Thanks for your advice!

My response:

No, you had already tendered your notice. The "two-week notice" is merely customary - - there is no law that requires you to give such "notice". On the flip side of that coin, there is no law that requires your employer to keep you on the job for those two weeks. Your former employer is allowed to say, "Adios" to you right then and there. So, you weren't fired. You quit.
As such, you're not entitled to Unemployment Benefits.

IAAL

Beth3

I believe CA is one of those few States where UC benefits are allowed when someone resigns due to a spousal relocation. CalBruin, you certainly should apply.

C

CalBruin

Thank you all

Thank you all for the advice. I'll go ahead and apply for unemployment - it certainly couldn't hurt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">