• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calling off work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrreb

What is the name of your state? PA.

I was told by my previous employer that is was not legal for them to ask why we were/are calling work and that they could not do anything to any employee who didn't give a reason as to why they called off work.

I am now being told by my current employer that is it a requirement when calling off that we state the reason in calling off?

Which is legal?
Is my current employer correct? or is my previous employer correct?

Thanks in advance

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your current employer is closer to being correct.

The law does not require that you give a reason when calling out, but it is perfectly legal for an employer to require it. Your previous employer is out and out wrong.

An employer cannot require you to provide specifics, i.e. "I'm going to be out because of a bladder infection", which is probably what your previous employer was thinking of and misinterpreting. But it is perfectly legal for them to require a general answer "I'm sick and can't come in".

mrreb

Can they say this?

When you are reporting off from work by calling OSD, it is required that you provide a reason for your absence, late arrival etc.
For example - acceptable reasons include but not limited to:

* I am sick with the flu
* I am sick with a migraine
* My car won't start, I need to get another ride
* My child is ill and I need to take my child to the doctor

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't see anything objectionable in those. I don't think they can demand a full diagnosis, but it's not unreasonable for them to want enough information for them to determine whether or not FMLA is likely to be required. And they most certainly have the right to know something about why you're not coming to work. Your previous employer was WAY overstating the case. NOTHING in the law says that an employee gets to simply announce they're not coming in without giving any reason at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">