• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a boss question me about my personal life?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haileyb1

I live in Georgia, and up until Friday worked for an airline. My director called me into his office on Wed. and started asked about who I was with and where I was on some of my off time. He aslo told me that he had my flight records from other airlines that I had purchased as a full paying customer. When I wasn't cooperative about answering his question-because they were on such a personal basis and had nothing to do with any work event or job performance, he treatened my job. So in the end I told him everything going on in my personal life. Friday he handed me a letter of termination for being dishonest and misleading during an investigation. I never realized that an investigation was going on because the only thing said to me was "Come in I need to talk to you." and "Where were you on this day and who where you with?"

I know that him obtaining my flight records is and invasion of privacy, but I want to know if I have any recourse on the rest? Thanks.What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

I live in Georgia, and up until Friday worked for an airline. My director called me into his office on Wed. and started asked about who I was with and where I was on some of my off time. He aslo told me that he had my flight records from other airlines that I had purchased as a full paying customer. When I wasn't cooperative about answering his question-because they were on such a personal basis and had nothing to do with any work event or job performance, he treatened my job. So in the end I told him everything going on in my personal life. Friday he handed me a letter of termination for being dishonest and misleading during an investigation. I never realized that an investigation was going on because the only thing said to me was "Come in I need to talk to you." and "Where were you on this day and who where you with?"

I know that him obtaining my flight records is and invasion of privacy, but I want to know if I have any recourse on the rest? Thanks.What is the name of your state?
An investigation for what? How can anyone advise you based on the half story you posted??

haileyb1

Not sure what the investigation was for. I didn't know an "investigation" was going on until I recieved my terminantion letter. My director had a very close relationship with everyone in the office, so I thought he was speaking to me on a personal note. I was never under the impression that any "investigation" was going on because he was asking me about who I was dating and where we were on my days off. When I got the letter of termination and asked what investigation...no answer was given.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing you have posted suggests that any employment laws were broken. It may or may not have been fair; it may or may not have been unprofessional; it may or may not have been good management. But, at least based on the information provided, it was not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">